East Aurora Union Free School District
Board of Education Meeting Digest for Tuesday, January 29, 2008
The regular Board of Education business meeting was called to order by Board President Daniel Brunson in the Main Street Building Library at 7:00 PM.
Superintendent James Bodziak commented:
“On January 17th, Dr. Hoagland, Mr. Roberts, Mr. Thornley and thirteen of our high school teachers conducted an open house for students and their families who expressed interest in enrolling at the high school for the 2008-2009 school year. I wanted to share with you a letter that Dr. Hoagland received from a parent who complimented the faculty for their PowerPoint presentations, their professionalism and enthusiasm. This parent’s daughter has decided to enroll next year at our high school.
Congratulations to Dr. Hoagland, Mr. Roberts, Mr. Thornley and the teachers present, Kandie Yoviene, Janiese Green, Ryan Ellis, Joanne Ryan, Dave Schmidt, Jeff Shelley, Kristen Teeft, Jean Ricci, Tom Kegler, Paul Blackwell, Jeff Mackey, Brian Serwicki and Larry Grisanti for contributing to a wonderful experience for these potential East Aurora High School students!
In the January 14th edition of the New York State School Board Association newspaper, On Board, our Athletic Storage/Maintenance Facility project was highlighted. I want to thank Kris Ward for her initiative and effort to have our district project highlighted in this publication.
Our school district was recently recognized with a Certificate of Accomplishment by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation. We were recognized for our enthusiasm, resources and hard work in implementing a recycling program to raise environmental awareness in our school and community. Congratulations are in order to our faculty and staff throughout our district for their diligent efforts in making recycling a priority.“
Board member comments:
President Daniel Brunson gave a status report after his attendance at a meeting of the building committee. The Parkdale and High School portions of the plan currently are out for bid. He stated that the plan is moving along through the competitive bidding process and we hope for excellent results. A special meeting of the Board will be needed to approve the bids, and members decided to reserve the morning of Wednesday, February 27 to award the bids. Architect Robin Mach will be asked to give an update on the Main Street School work at the March Board meeting, as that portion of the project approaches completion in preparation for submission to Albany for approval.
Stephen Zagrobelny reported on a recent policy committee meeting.
· Principal Jeffrey Banks reported on a successful grading day at Middle School on January 28.
· Director of Health, Physical Education and Athletics Fred Thornley reported on a seminar on curriculum development provided for his staff by Ron Whitcomb, Athletics Director for Victor Central Schools.
· Mr. Bodziak presented the finalized 2007-2008 District Goals and Objectives and an overview of the proposed 2008-2009 school year calendar.
· Mr. Blowers presented an overview of the changes being planned in the Business Office with regard to the conversion to Finance Manager, etc.
Mr. Bodziak and the Board of Education discussed plans for the establishment and administration of the Marie West Keller Memorial Scholarship Fund. Mrs. Keller was a longtime teacher and Board of Education member in the East Aurora District.
In Board action items, Superintendent Bodziak recommended that the Board of Education:
· Approved the contract between the District and Lynn Hoffman for per diem services;
· Accepted the resignation of Christine Kroschel, Teacher Aide, effective February 8, 2008;
· Approved the termination of Jeffrey Pieczynski, Custodian, effective January 18, 2008;
· Approved the appointment of Cheryl Sweet to a probationary appointment as a Clerk Typist, with a probationary period of twenty-six weeks, effective January 7, 2008;
· Approved the appointment of Beverly Lenahan to a probationary appointment as a Teacher Aide, with a probationary period of twenty-six weeks, effective January 24, 2008;
· Accepted the resignation of Kevin O’Neil as Boys Junior Varsity Lacrosse Coach;
· Approved minutes of the Board of Education Meeting of January 9, 2008;
· Approved recommendations of the Committee on Preschool Special Education;
· Approved per pupil rates to be received by the Williamsville Central School District and Clarence Central School District for Health Welfare Services provided to resident students attending private schools within their districts 2007-2008 school year;
· Approved the 2008-2009 School Year Calendar;
· Approved for a First Reading REVISED Board Policy #7121, Diagnostic Screening of Students;
· REVISED Board Policy #7613, Preschool Special Education Program; NEW Board Policy #6215, Professional Certification: 175 Hours of Professional Development Requirement; NEW Board Policy #7215, District Policy Regarding Response to Intervention (RTI) Process; NEW Board Policy #7653, Additional Procedures for Identifying Students with Learning Disabilities; and NEW Board Policy #8280, Instruction for English Language Learners or Students with Limited English Proficiency; and,
· Accepted the results (below) of the January 29, 2008 vote consisting of Proposition #1 (Capital Reserve expenditure toward the construction of an Athletic Storage/Maintenance Facility) and election of board trustee Eric Sweet; District Clerk Wopperer administered the oath of office to Mr. Sweet.